Bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese are one of my favorite appetizers/party tricks. They are the perfect combo of sweet and savory plus who doesn’t love goat cheese? I’ll admit many people aren’t too pumped about trying a date, but everyone loves them once they try them! The only down-side to these tasty treats is that they can be a bit putsy (and messy) to make – you have to slice each date, stuff with goat cheese, wrap with bacon, and bake for several minutes.
In looking for new recipes for a party I found these little gems from Well Plated and thought they would be much easier but still provide the same flavor. I was right, these are my new thing, and I LOVE mini fillo cups so they were even better!
If you are looking to impress people but not go to a ton of work I’d recommend these!
Mini Date & Goat Cheese Cups with Bacon
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups dry red wine
- 1 Tbl honey
- 5 ounces (or one package) dried, pitted dates
- 2 boxes Athens mini fillo cups (in the freezer section)
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- fresh thyme (optional)
- Cook the bacon however you prefer (I bake mine at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes) and chop when cooled
- Meanwhile, heat the wine and honey in a saucepan over medium heat until combined
- Add the dates and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until they begin to plump-up, stirring occasionally
- Remove the dates with a slotted spoon and dice when cooled (they become a bit of a paste which is fine)
- Keep the fillo cups in the plastic package and fill the bottom of each cup with goat cheese using a spoon (or your fingers)
- Top with date mixture and sprinkle with bacon
- Garnish with thyme (optional)
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 4 hours
Sidebar Jammie enjoyed watching me cook 🙂