My sister got married at the gorgeous James J Hill Library in downtown St. Paul a few years ago.
As mentioned she is a super-crafter, and as part of her book-themed decorations we made these awesome pomanders. A very good friend is getting married at the same library, so in preparation for her engagement party I brought them back.
Here is What you Need:
- Paper of choice – I used book paper for the theme (grabbed a book from Goodwill) but any thin paper would work
- Head Pins (like these)
- Foam ball (like these, you can pick the size)
Here are the steps:
- Tear out 2-3 pages at a time and fold in half 3 times
- Cut into what I am calling “jagged ovals” (see the picture below and ignore the chewed fingernails)
3. Separate the ovals and fold in half/crinkle them so they are easier to work with
4. Stick a pin in the center and insert into the foam ball, folding/crinkling the paper as you do
5. Repeat, spreading out and shifting the paper so it looks flower-like! Here is the finished product 🙂
A couple of tips:
- Overall they are super simple, however I’ll admit that they are somewhat time consuming. It is the perfect multi-tasking activity! In my case that meant binge-watching The Fall on Netflix (how can someone so attractive be so creepy at the same time?!)
- Don’t bring these through airport security. When I was making these for my sister I and accidentally left one in my carry-on and definitely got stopped at security. I can only imagine what these looked like in a scanner!
They can be hung or put on candle holders – a fun decoration!